Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Counting it a Priviledge

Written January 15th, 2016

 Suzette Grooms; a name as popular as Elvis, I often told her. She'd smile that contagious smile, widen those big brown eyes, and we'd have a good laugh. Looking back, our laughs were my favorite, but I must tell you that the list of what I loved about this friend is a long one.


When her daughter-in-law, Lori, asked if I could help care for Suzette a few months after her diagnosis, I only knew of ALS for its effects on a baseball player born well before my time. I couldn't have known then, none of us could, just what the experience would look like and where it would take us. Along with her amazing family, the Lord grew Suzy's Dream Team of caregivers with Diane, Cindy, Denise, Kendra, Jackie, Cathy and Jill. 

Early on, we studied every piece of literature and case study we could get our hands on and eventually became well versed on a condition that used to never make the news. I shudder to think what if I had said "No" to the opportunity to care for Suzy. Sure, my heart wouldn't feel its present ache and I'd still have tears to spare, but I would have missed one of the single most impacting callings on my life. I would have missed knowing her as my friend; my sister, even.

I would have never known there was someone else on the planet who loved all things aqua and teal, or decorating a home or a Christmas tree as much as I do. I would have missed so much, like seeing her family and friends' love in action, day in and day out, and coming to love them, too. I would have missed that first year when I could be with her six mornings and two evenings. If walls could only talk, they'd overflow with glimpses of a season that grew us all, for the better.

I believe we can do most anything for a short while, it's when the hard journey gets hardest, that it reveals the character of who we are and our need for Jesus to fulfill it. Hers was one of the toughest, but we all endured it together. Otherwise, we could have missed being her hands, feet, and later, her voice, or positioning our bodies like contortionists so that she could best see her letter chart and "talk" with her eyes.

Through focusing on mere letters, she's relayed everything from funny, to random, to revealing the deepest part of her heart. The girl was a thinker, and she could discern a situation with great wisdom, and sometimes, with great spunk. She kept up with where things were better than we did sometimes, and got her best belly laughs when one of us tripped, fell, got a leg cramp, or were run over by her chair. Her smile was worth the tire marks and the nearly broken toes.

She was a believer, and never, ever let go of the desire to live, and live fully. She was dressed and beautifully ready for her daily fight, without fail. And whether it was watching her beloved grandchildren play ball from the comfort of the van, sitting courtside, or enduring mosquitoes in her own backyard, she was faithful to be wherever they were. She loved, and she loved well.

Her desire to be there for family as she'd always been, bore constant reminders of a disease whose character is to weaken and destroy. She defied the limitations of ALS and fought passionately to preserve her abilities and experiences. She dug down deep and would go without much-needed rest and sleep to seize the moments. Oh, did she ever press on, even through relentless circumstances.

Since Tuesday, Suzette was surrounded by friends and family as we soaked up every last beautiful second with this dear one who taught us so much. We sang, shed tears, and we worshiped, led by none other than Nathan, her heart's reflection. We invited the comfort of the Holy Spirit to please be in our midst, because truthfully, we didn't understand and most likely won't on this side of Heaven. Through faith, we trust and believe that He is good in all things. Yes, even in the hardest of things like ALS.

The countless prayers, anointing, and crying out to the Lord on her behalf since this faith-growing journey began, were fulfilled yesterday in the early morning hours as our beautiful friend was healed! Healing that was boundless and without limitations to equipment, prescriptions, therapy, braces, chairs, lifts, liquid nutrition, letter charts, health agencies, doctors, clinics, caregivers, or a prognosis. It was that of an authentic outpouring of mercy and grace that welcomed her Home! Her chains are gone! Glory to His name!

For the weeks and months that grew into years, for the memories that are treasures for a lifetime, for the blessings I would have otherwise missed, I count it a privilege, Suzette Grooms. I praise our God in Heaven that I said, Yes!

"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." 1Peter 1:6&7

No comments:

Post a Comment